Classification: IATSE Hourly
Schedule: Weekdays, occasional weeknights, holidays and/or weekends
Reports to: Production Management, Technical Direction Staff, Master Carpenter, Production Carpenter
Works With: Stage Carpenters, Carpenters, Deck Crew
Under the direction of the Technical Direction Staff and the Master Carpenter, the Carpenter is an essential member of the La Jolla Playhouse’s Production Staff. The position is expected to function in a fast-paced and detail-critical environment serving to fabricate, load in, and strike scenic elements for all La Jolla Playhouse productions to which they are assigned. The ideal candidate will be familiar with a variety of materials and fabrication techniques, and will be an effective communicator ensuring that projects are completed in a safe and efficient manner. The strongest candidate is a technician and artist, committed to the artistic vision and mission of La Jolla Playhouse.
- Read and understand technical drawings, develop and maintain an organized work-flow throughout fabrication process, and label and communicate completion of pieces.
- Act both independently or as part of a team in the fabrication, installation, and strike of all scenery. Effective collaboration and communication with colleagues and supervisors is critical.
- Fabricate all scenery as assigned from technical drawings using standard theatrical construction practices and a variety of materials such as wood, metal, foam, and plastic.
- Handle materials and scenery as needed throughout the build and installation process, maintain an organized and clean work area.
- Participate in shop clean up, special projects, and scene shop maintenance as assigned.
- Attend morning meetings, scenery or safety related training and seminars, and company-wide meetings.
- Functions in a professional and collegial manner when collaborating with all theatre personnel, professional creative teams, staff, management and other visiting artists.
- Enhance and support the educational and institutional mission of La Jolla Playhouse.
- Other duties as assigned.
- 2 plus years of professional experience in theatrical construction and scenic methods (LORT Experience Preferred).
- Ability to read and execute scenery construction and engineering drawings, willingness to ask clarifying questions where necessary.
- Demonstrate skills and detailed knowledge of scenic carpentry, welding, rigging, automation solutions, and soft goods/fabric maintenance and repair.
- Working knowledge and experience with specialized tools in advanced scenery construction preferred. (CNC Router, Advanced rigging, and Automation)
- Knowledge of and dedication to safe working practices, OSHA 10 a plus.
- Possess strong critical thinking, attention to detail, problem solving, and organizational skills.
- Verbal communication skills required, written communication skills a plus.
- Ability to multi-task and work under time constraints, maintaining a productive attitude.
- Ability to climb and work on ladders, lifts, catwalks, and grids.
- Ability to regularly lift, pull, push, and maneuver up to 75lbs.
- Valid Driver’s License and reliable transportation.
La Jolla Playhouse is an Equal Opportunity Employer and is committed to achieving a diverse workforce. Employment decisions are based on needs of the organization, job requirements and individual qualifications without regard to race, gender, religion, age or belief and encourages applicants of all backgrounds to apply.